Man denies hate crime over alleged antisemitic video

A teenager has denied committing a hate crime after a video circulated on social media appeared to show antisemitic abuse in east London.
The Metropolitan Police said officers were called to Whitechapel Road in Tower Hamlets after a man allegedly shouted abuse towards the Jewish community on Friday.
Police arrested an 18-year-old on Monday in connection with the incident.
Earlier at Thames Magistrates' Court, Muhammed Rachid, of Schoolhouse Lane in Limehouse, pleaded not guilty to a charge of causing racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress with threatening or abusive words or behaviour and elected to stand trial in front of a jury.
The Jewish community volunteer group Shomrim previously said it was "aware of the horrific video" and that police were taking it "very seriously".
Earlier this month, it was announced that a dedicated team of 100 police officers would be deployed to help protect Jewish communities in London.
The move follows a series of arson attacks on Jewish sites in the capital, as well as a double stabbing in Golders Green.
Under the terms of his bail, Rachid must sleep each night at his home address, he is banned from posting on social media and he must not go to the Stamford Hill area of north London.
He has also been banned from being within 100 yards of any synagogue and he is not allowed to attend his own mosque in Whitechapel.
Rachid was set free on bail until a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 16 June.
An earlier version of this story had a different name for the person charged, which was provided by the Met Police. This has now been updated after new information was given by police.
Listen to the best of BBC Radio London on Sounds and follow BBC London on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to hello.bbclondon@bbc.co.uk
(Feed generated with FetchRSS)